11 February 2019
A home cooked favourite made easy and delicious
Saucy Italian Meatballs is staple in most households and a delicious addition to Spaghetti or just perfect solo with crusty bread.
2 x whole eggs
3 x sliced white bread (crumbs)
250gm veal mince
200gm beef mince
200gm diced brown onion
100gm chopped parsley
1 x garlic clove (crushed)
50gm shaved parmesan cheese.
Sugo (Italian Sauce)
150gm finely chopped brown onion
10gm crushed garlic
100gm castor sugar
10 x basil leafs finely chopped
100gm tomato sauce
2 x 300gm crushed tomato
Season to taste.
- Heat 2ml oil in shallow pan, add garlic and diced onion and cook until sauteed.
- Add bread in a blender crush to make bread crumbs and mixed in with seasoning. Remove and cool.
- In a clean bowl add mince, eggs and bread mixture, 2/2 parmesan and mix well with a wooden spoon.
- Roll mixture into 50gm balls and put on tray and cover in fridge
- Heat oil in a shallow pan, add garlic then onion and cook until translucent.
- Add tomato paste and cook out for 3 minutes.
- Add crushed tomato and simmer out for 5 minutes.
- Add sugar, basil and seasoning to taste.
- heat oil in shallow pot, and ad the rolled meatballs and stir around for even colour.
- Add sauce and mix slowly so the meatballs don't break apart. Bring to the boil, slowly simmer for 5 minutes and then cover with foil.
- Pre heat oven to 180degrees.
- Place pot with ingredients in pre hearted oven for 15-20 minutes or until cooked through
- Remove from oven, serve with shaved parmesan and crusty bread or pasta of your choice.